Step #1: Organize everything.
Unless you absolutely need or can't live without the items in your home, you can get rid of them. The same applies to your computer files and clothes closet. Store your belongings properly.
Step #2: Set your goals.
Trying does not mean accomplishing. Set goals for yourself and do what you need to do to accomplish them. Determining your goals should make it very clear to you exactly what you need to spend your time doing.
Step #3: Make lists.
Write down a list of all the things you need to do, then combine similar or related tasks.
Go through the list again and focus on the most pressing task you need to complete. Plan on how you will go about completing the task by following the steps below:
- Determine the task's objective.
- List the steps required to make it happen.
- Prioritize what needs to be done and include time limits.
- Create a schedule. Make sure you include time for unplanned events and things that "pop up".
- Gather all the resources you need to complete the task.
- Use planners, calendars, PDAs, etc. to help you remember what you need to do.
- Work like you planned.
- Do this for all your other tasks and projects.
Step #4: Become computer-literate.
Educate yourself about the computer programs you use. That way, you will be able to utilize all their features and finish your work faster.